Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Anna? Carine? I’ll take Karl.



Anna Wintour’s most recent interview with 60 Minutes* does nothing to dispel my long held view that she is hard, stiff, and bordering on safe (a dirty word in my fashion book). Wintour’s French envelope-pushing, Balmain wearing, eternally tanned counterpart Carine Roitfeld stomps all over her. The award for most entertaining/intriguing fashion figure, however, surely must go to none other than Karl Lagerfeld - writer, photographer, publisher and designer extraordinaire. As I am not eloquent enough to convey Lagerfeld’s brilliance in my own words, allow me to leave you with a collection of quotes uttered by the man himself . . .

"Life is not a beauty contest, some [ugly people] are great. What I hate is nasty, ugly people... the worst is ugly, short men. Women can be short, but for men it is impossible. It is something that they will not forgive in life... they are mean and they want to kill you." - 2003

"I’m a kind of fashion nymphomaniac who never gets an orgasm" - 1984

"I eat next to nothing." - 2006

"I'm very impeccable and clean before I go to bed. It's just like right before I'm going out. When I was a child, my mother always told me that you could wake up in the middle of the night and be deathly sick, so you always have to be impeccable. I laugh about it now, but I think everyone should go to bed like they have a date at the door." - 2009

"I don't know Heidi Klum. She was never known in France. Claudia Schiffer also doesn't know who she is." - 2009

* To view Anna Wintour's full 60 Minutes interview, follow the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CyIOWePQa8